TENS – Natural Pain Relief Management
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. It is a system that can be used during labour to provide pain relief during contractions and to assist with back pain during labour. It works by sending electrical pulses from a small portable unit that you hold or attach to your clothing, to electrode pads that stick to your skin on your back.
It helps by:
- Providing a distraction during the contraction.
- Stimulating the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain relieving & ‘feel good’ substance.
- The electrical pulses intercept and block the pain message from reaching the brain therefore “blocking” the pain.
- TENS is simple and easy to use
- Can be used at any stage of labour, and in particular is best used during early labour at home
- You can continue to move around and mobilize as you please whilst using TENS
- It is safe, non-invasive and does not cause any side effect to your baby
- Can easily be turned off or removed at any point
- You are in complete control of its use
- Can also be used in conjunction with other medical forms of pain relief whilst you’re in hospital
- You will need to pre-purchase or hire the TENS machine prior to labour as most hospitals do not provide TENS machines.
- You will require someone to apply the pads to your back for you
- You cannot use the TENS machine in water; therefore it must be removed should you wish to use the bath or shower during labour.
- It may make massage of your lower back a little difficult as the pads cover a large portion of this area.
If you are interested in using TENS you can find detailed information as well as hire options at: www.tensaustralia.com.au
You can also email email@example.com for more information.